Memorial Day became an official holiday in 1971 but was originally known as Decoration Day and began following the Civil war. It began as communities organically began to offer remembrances of those that were lost.
One of the earliest such gatherings recorded was organized by a group of freed slaves in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865. This is a wonderful time to remember family members, visit grave sites and become reacquainted with our history.
The Memorial Day holiday is upon us and the markets are closed. Now‘s an opportune time to take a break from coronavirus fear, U.S. – China trade tensions, political squabbling in Washington, and all of the media white noise that can cloud an investor’s judgment.
I want to focus like a laser beam on Job One, which is to help YOU make money.
This Memorial Day, Go From Worrier to Warrior
Watch what they do — or teach — or do!
How many consultants, speakers, and experts are great at doing what they themselves teach?
Good question, right?
You’d think the answer is “ALL of them.”
Sadly, the true answer is “very few.”
How many more experts, coaches, mentors, and so-called gurus are in the “Do what I say – not what I do” category?
Sadly, the answer is “plenty.”
From 2002 – 2005, I was a jack of all trades in the speaking, training, and coaching business.
“Guilty as charged, officer”…
- I taught leadership and I never led anyone
- I taught sales and I sucked at selling
- I taught customer service only ever having been a customer :o)
- I taught hiring, firing, and team building with a deep background and experience in exactly zero hirings, no firings, and no team
You get the idea.
Then as I started to coach and mentor other speakers between 2005 and 2008 (for free, over coffees, breakfasts, lunches, and way too many “pick your brain” phone calls), a light bulb went off:
Forget about doing what you teach.
What if I only taught what I DO?
Back in 2008, I flipped the switch on this for my own business.
And then I raised the bar even higher:
I decided to only teach what I had mastered. Nothing else.
Dropped all the other workshops, coaching, and consulting gigs.
- I was a working professional speaker — let me teach how to do that.
- I started doing 1–1 private coaching in 2003. Let me teach that.
- I started monetizing group coaching in 2008. Made a couple hundred grand. Let me show others.
- I started marketing via teleseminars in 2009. Made another couple hundred grand. Let me share those secrets.
- I started selling via webinars in 2012. Over the past 8 years, webinars have generated over 5 million dollars in revenue and grown my email list to 38,000. So let’s break that down for you so that you can do the same.
See the pattern here?
1. I screw up (a lot)
2. Experiment, tweak, test, validate, implement, refine
3. Master and monetize the hell out of it
4. Teach others so they can skip steps 1 & 2 and jump to step 3!
Some people call this “selling shovels to gold miners” and feel it’s sleazy for highly successful coaches to sell to other coaches or highly successful consultants to sell to consultants, which when you look at it logically, is complete bullshit. (Topic for another day…)
It’s more like doctors teaching medical school. Only the best get to do that.
And those doctors have seen every possible variation of symptoms, problems, and complications. They know the traps, missteps, & mistakes as well as the insights, shortcuts, latest cutting-edge treatments, and non-obvious practices that will help their interns become better practitioners and save more lives.
So that’s what I think about that.
May 25, 2019
“I find inspiration by letting go and being my true authentic self.”
(Say this 3 times today)
Have you ever had to write an email, make a video, or simply do a task and have felt uninspired?
Pretty normal, right? We’re human, after all.
Today, we’re sharing the process with you, and also sharing parts of the process for creating content with you.
Here are a couple of books I am reading at the moment:
May 25, 2018
A bit late in posting this … but a quick look at the photo will give you the idea.
In Canada, particularly in Calgary, AB … we don’t plant any bedding plants, or put our seedlings we grow in the house … outside until AFTER the May 24th long weekend.
A lot of people are willing to wait one or two more week-ends, ’til June 1st, to do their planting. Yesterday was HOT and SUNNY, so a lot of people threw caution aside…
What a difference a day makes. Today, I planned to BBQ, no matter what… Surprise!